Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Birth Story

Sunday, February 20, my water broke at 8:50 a.m. I had just gotten out of bed and was getting ready for church. I woke up Billy to tell him my water broke and he started making phone calls to his family in Conway. My parents were walking into church so my mom left to come help Billy & I get ready. I reacted just like I thought I would, very calm.
My parents finished moving from Missouri the day before, perfect timing :). Billy & I spent our Saturday getting last minute things for her nursery. We left at noon & didn't get home till almost midnight because we helped my parents move & celebrated my brother's birthday which he now shares with Tatum :). I was planning on cleaning, doing laundry & ironing Sunday while Billy finished her nursery, but she had other plans.
I started feeling bad around 6 p.m. Saturday. She was moving a ton & I was feeling nauseous and sore. After my water broke, I finished packing our bags and Billy picked up the house for me whole I got ready.

I started getting contractions every 4-5 minutes 15 minutes after my water broke. We got to the hospital at 10 & checked in to triage. They did a blue strip teat to check if my water broke & it wasn't as blue as they hoped so I had to lay back flat for 20 min to let the fluid increase & they were going to do another test. The contractions were every 3 min & were uncomfortable because she was in my rubs & laying flat didn't allow my body to work with the contractions. They tested me again & it was for sure my water that had broke. They checked me at 10 & I was at. A 1 & 50% effaced, which I had been for 2 weeks. We got a room & literally had friends & family in our room up to an hour before I delivered. I really wanted a natural birth & I must say that the company kept my mind off the contractions. I'd be talking, breathe through a contraction and start visiting again. At one point we had 10 people in our room.
They checked me against 2:00 & I was at a 6, 90% effaced! I couldn't believe it because my contractions weren't hurting that bad. They checked me again an hour later, I was a 9.5 & 100% effaced. The transition phase(goin from 8-10) is known to be the hardest part of labor but is the shortest. My transition phase felt like all my other contractions until the last 3 before I felt the urge to push & those hurt. When the nurse checked me & said I was 9.5 dilated, she said she come back in 15 min & I'd start pushing. As soon as she walked out of the room, I had a huge urge to push. I pushed for 30 minutes & sweet Tatum was born at 3:39 p.m., weighing 6 lbs 11 oz, 19 1/4 inches.
She swallowed a lot of amniotic fluid before she came out so they gave her a little oxygen & i had to wait 20 min before i could nurse her.
Tatum had a lot of spit up issues because of the fluid she swallowed so I was only able to nurse her 3 times in the hospital. At one point she spit up blood so they did an X-ray but everything looked good. We stayed in the hospital an extra because of her spitting up & I wasnt able to feed her.
Tatum is a week & 3 days and is a bundle of joy! She has only fussed one time since she came home from the hospital. She eats every 2-3 hrs & has a 4 hour stretch at night. She is sleeping in her crib & loves to be swaddled. She is extremely alert & will look around for hours. Billy & I are treasuring every second with our sweet baby girl!!























BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment